- What is the personal information that we collect?
- Why do we collect personal information?
- How do we collect your personal information?
- With whom do we share personal information?
- How do we secure personal information?
- How do we respect your choices about your personal information?
- Whom do I contact if I have questions or concerns?
1. What is the personal information that we collect?
Personal information is your name, e-mail address, billing address, shipping address, phone number, and/or credit card information.
2. Why do we collect personal information?
We collect your personal information in an effort to provide you with a superior customer experience and, as necessary, to administer our business. It allows us to provide you with easy access to our products and services, with a particular focus on the items and programs that may be of most interest to you. For more information as to why we collect personal information, please see the section below entitled: "How do we use your personal information?"
- 3. How do we collect your personal information?
- Making a purchase or placing an order: When you make a purchase or place an order in our stores or place an order online without an account, you may need to submit personal information to us.
- Creating an online account: You can create a password-protected Deseretbook.com account to complete your online order, to purchase or download eBooks, other digital content ("Digital Content") Deseret Book's apps or to save items to an online Wish List, To create any of these accounts, we will ask you to provide us with personal information. If you use your online account to make a purchase or download, we will use the personal information stored in your account and/or require you to input additional personal information, such as credit card information, to complete your order or download.
- Enrolling in our Member loyalty program (Platinum): When you enroll in our Member loyalty program (Platinum), we will ask you to submit personal information as part of your Member profile. The personal information you submit is held in a Member database. When you use your membership, the transaction information for your purchase, including personal information, is copied and stored in the Member database so that we can administer the Member program.
- Contacting Customer Service: When you contact customer service, we may ask you to provide, or confirm, personal information so that we can better serve you.
(a). Information that you provide to us
As a general matter, you can browse in our stores and on our websites without submitting your personal information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. The most common of these circumstances include:
- (b) Information automatically collected when you visit our websites
- Information collected using pixel tags or clear GIFs: To help us understand the effectiveness of our communications and marketing efforts, we may use "message format" and "message open" sensing technologies that use pixel tags or clear GIFs (which are also called web beacons). These technologies allow us to know if your e-mail program is able to accept HTML e-mails and, if it is, to: (1) send you e-mails in that format; and (2) determine if you have opened our e-mail messages.
- Information collected from Deseret Book applications: When you use a Deseret Book application, we automatically collect information that the app sends to Deseret Book when it is connected to the Internet. For example, we may receive and collect information concerning search queries, downloads, buying preferences etc.
- Information collected from visitors from outside the United States: If you are visiting Deseret Book from outside the United States and provide us with personal information, please note that your personal information will be transferred, stored and processed within the United States. The data protection laws in the United States may not be as comprehensive as those in your country. By doing business or interacting with Deseret Book, you are consenting to the transfer of your personal information to facilities located in the United States and other facility locations selected by Deseret Book.
When you visit our websites, we automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. For example, we may receive and collect: the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using; the date and time you access our websites; and the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our sites. We use this information to monitor the usage of our websites and as necessary for our business. This information does not include personal information.
4. With whom do we share personal information?
Protecting the privacy and security of your personal information is a priority at Deseret Book. DESERET BOOK DOES NOT SELL OR RENT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES.
- Deseret Book may share your personal information with:
- Other entities owned by Deseret Book, Inc., including subsidiaries of Deseret Book, Inc. Many of our customers purchase items from us both online and in our stores. We share your personal information within the Deseret Book Company to help to ensure that you have a superior shopping or browsing experience no matter where you choose to shop or browse with us.
- Law enforcement officials and as required by law. Deseret Book may release personal information to third parties when we determine, in our judgment, that it is necessary to (a) comply with the law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce or apply the terms of any of our policies or user agreements; or (c) protect the rights, property or safety of Deseret Book, our employees, our customers, users, or others.
5. How do we secure personal information?
We take significant and appropriate security measures, including physical, technological and procedural measures, to help to safeguard your personal information and to prevent unauthorized access and disclosure. In addition, we use industry-standard technology, such as firewalls and encryption in the transmission of certain sensitive personal information, designed to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information, and, as technology develops, we will take additional measures to improve security.
- 6. How do we respect your choices about your personal information?
- Making a purchase or download or placing an order
- Creating an online account
- Enrolling in our Member program
- Entering a sweepstakes or a contest If, at any time, you wish to no longer receive Promotional Communications from Deseret Book Booksellers, Deseretbook.com, the Deseret Book Member Platinum program, please follow the instructions below:
- For Deseret Book Booksellers: At any time, a customer may choose to opt-out of the receipt of any promotional communications by clicking on the opt-out link provided at the bottom of each e-mail and following the instructions, or by e-mailing our Customer Service Department at email@example.com
- For Deseretbook.com: any account holder can opt-out of the receipt of any promotional communications by clicking on the opt-out link provided at the bottom of each e-mail and following the instructions, or by e-mailing our Customer Service Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Deseret Book Member Platinum program: Any Member can opt-out of the receipt of any Member program promotional communications by clicking on the opt-out link provided at the bottom of each e-mail and following the instructions, or by e-mailing our Customer Service Department at email@example.com
- Even if you opt-out of receiving Promotional Communications, you may continue to receive e-mails relating to order confirmations, back order notifications, membership information, and/or other business-related communications.
When you interact with Deseret Book, in certain ways you may be eligible to receive certain marketing-related and promotional communications as well as special offers from Deseret Book. The most common of these circumstances include:
7. Whom do I contact if I have questions or concerns?