Act in Doctrine
The Deseret Bookshelf version is enhanced with video.
What do we do with the truths we know?
Knowledge is important — but it is only part of the equation in our spiritual development. Our happiness in mortality and our progress throughout eternity depend on our learning to “act in doctrine,” to live as we know we should live.
In Act in Doctrine, Elder David A. Bednar shares key insights to help close the gap between what we know and how we act. “The essential first step in reducing the disparity between gospel knowledge and righteous behavior is learning about and emulating the character of Christ,” he writes.
As we turn from self to to the Savior, we become better able to understand respond to the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Obedience becomes “the sweet fruit of honoring covenant responsibilities — not merely a chore or an option to be performed based upon circumstances or convenience.” This is a stirring invitation to all of us to learn, ponder, and Act in Doctrine.
- Chapter One - Acting in Doctrine and the Character of Christ
- Chapter Two - Acting in Doctrine and Moral Agency
- Chapter Three - Acting in Doctrine and Conversion unto the Lord
- Chapter Four - Acting in Doctrine and the Role of a Teacher
- Features extra-wide margins for recording thoughts and invites readers to ask, ponder, and then apply what they are learning.
- Links throughout the book lead to teaching moments on the DVD, which includes a Q&A session and an exclusive interview with Elder and Sister Bednar.
- Available as an enhanced ebook with embedded video content (features on our free Deseret Bookshelf app), and as a standard ebook on other e-readers.
- Chapters from the book are linked to Seek, an online content library and community. Available at seek.deseretbook.com/learning
- SKU: 5092930
- SKU: 5099044
Book and eBook Combo
By DeAnn, Submitted on 2015-02-25
I know I'm suppose to watch the video along with the book but last night I popped in the video to listen to while I did other things. It was amazing. I felt like I was being taught how to be taught. Along with the book this really is helping me know how to make changes in my life with the doctrines of the Gospel and the atonement.
By Shauna, Submitted on 2015-02-25
Elder David A. Bednar is a masterful teacher!
In this newest book he teaches how we can become more Christlike and how agency really works.
He also sets the pattern for effective teaching not only as teachers in church but as parents and even friendships.
The enclosed DVD has Elder Bednar answering questions about his book.
This book is definitely a MUST read!
By Alyson, Submitted on 2015-02-25
A must have book for any auxiliary or quorum presidency. Members need to be taught the principles found in this book.