Of Pigs, Pearls, and Prodigals: A Fresh Look At the Parables of Jesus
“This book would be a wonderful way to study the New Testament in conjunction with the Sunday School lessons. I can see families doing a different parable each week for Family Home Evening, for example.” — The Association for Mormon Letters
Enlighten your study of the New Testament!
Bestselling author John Bytheway's fascination with the parables of Jesus Christ grew deeper after his first visit to the Holy Land, where he “beheld in high definition the backdrop for the life and teachings of the Savior.” In this insightful volume, he discusses what he has learned about more than thirty parables, sharing cultural background and other information about them and offering ideas for how we can apply them today. Throughout, visual images clarify and enrich the discussion.
Beginners and seasoned students alike will enjoy this lively and practical treatment of the Savior's parables.
- The Parable of the House Built upon a Rock
- The Parable of the Sower (of Four Kinds of Soil)
Matthew 13:3-9, 18-23
- The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares
Matthew 12:24-30, 36-43
- The Parable of the Mustard Seed
- The Parable of the Leaven
- The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl of Great Price
- The Parable of the Gospel Net
- The Parable of the Householder
- The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant
- The Parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard
- The Parable of the Two Sons
- The Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen
- The Parable of the Royal Marriage Feast
- The Parable of the Ten Virgins
- The Parable of the Talents
- The Parable of the Sheep and the Goats
- The Parable of the Seed Growing Secretly
- The Parable of the Two Debtors
- The Parable of the Good Samaritan
- The Parable of the Foolish Rich Man
- The Parable of the Barren Fig Tree
- The Parable of the Chief Seats
- The Parable of the Great Supper
- The Parables of the uncompleted Tower and the King's Warfare
- The Parable of the Lost Sheep
- The Parable of the Lost Coin
- The Parable of the Lost (Prodigal) Son
- The Parable of the Unjust Steward
- The Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus
- The Parable of the Unjust Judge (or Importunate Widow)
- The Parable of the Pharisee and the Publican
- The Parable of the Pounds
Luke 19:12-27 Conclusion
- SKU: 4988545
- SKU: 5091270
- SKU: 5119191
By Joseph, Submitted on 2015-02-25
I just got this book and have read only a couple of chapters but it is very straight forward and easy to understand. Just like the front of the book says "A Fresh Look at the Parables of Jesus." It is a great book for new converts, like myself. Highly recommended!
By Dorothy, Submitted on 2015-02-25
I started reading this book yesterday ... I'm loving it!
By Kristen, Submitted on 2015-02-25
Doctrinally correct, insightful and well-organized. This book is a must-have as you ponder the Savior's teachings through parables. I sincerely appreciate the author's talent for simultaneously simplifying gospel topics while going deeper into them.