Who's Your Hero? Vol. 1: Book of Mormon Stories Applied to Children
by David Bowman
If you think children ages three and up should help more around the house, complain less while doing it, and have the courage to always choose the right, then this book is a must have! Who's Your Hero? teaches young children about heroic examples from the Book of Mormon, but even more: At the end of each scripture story, children will learn a timely heroic lesson for today. For example, Ammon loves to do chores around the house (just like he loved helping King Lamoni with his horses), and Nephi doesn't complain when it's time to go to bed (just like he didn't complain when his father Lehi asked him to do hard things). Family home evening ideas and activities are also featured. Who's Your Hero? is ideal for starting children early on to love the Book of Mormon.The perfect book to keep young children quiet during meetings; an illustrated mouse hidden on various pages throughout will keep them quietly searching.
By Gwen, Submitted on 2015-02-25
My little guy (he's now 3.5 yrs we got them when he was 2 yrs) has LOVED these since we got them. It's really brought to life these heroes in the Book of Mormon. They are very clever but simple too. We bought 3 of these and I will for sure buy every single one that comes out. We own Vol 1, Vol 2, and the Great Plan of Happiness. I am finally getting around to buying Vol 3 and Vol 4. They will be great Christmas presents!
I wish the author could also focus a least SOME of the stories on women in the scriptures. I know there are not many but it would help our little girls see the heroes that they can relate to that are their gender too. Also expanding to the other standard works would be great.
* Thorough description of each story that is being focused on. The author also makes it very easy for little ones to understand what is written
* GREAT illustrations that little kids love! The pictures are illustrated so well and they HUGE weird eyes are quite a hit with the little ones! It captures their attention and they LOVE it!
* The author has made it so kids of many ages can appreciate what is being taught and shown (for instance EVERY page has a cute little mouse that little ones can try and find).
* I love how there is a FHE page idea at the end of each story. This is so fun and so helpful.
* I also love that at the end of each story, the focus is on how this hero in the scriptures can inspire us in our modern-day.
* Each story focus’ on a character aspect that is really cool. It is emphacized through the whole story and then when he relates it to modern day (not complaining, showing courage, learning to serve, respecting their parents, praying sincerely, apologizing).
* My little guy cannot get enough of the Great Plan of Happiness book by David Bowman. I was skeptical about buying this one but he LOVES it! It’s wonderful to be teaching him such core doctrine of the Gospel that he WANTS to hear!
* This only comes in the Book of Mormon at this point and it doesn't cover any women in the scriptures. I would love to see the author also go into the other standard works - maybe modern-day prophets and such?
* We have one hard cover story (plan of happiness) and the other 2 are soft covers. They are holding up alright but if you have the option to get a hard cover it is well worth it. The hard cover is lasting much longer.
* Pretty pricey I thought - BUT - that being said it is SOOOOO WORTH IT! Like I said I will be getting EVERY one of these in the series. I REALLY hope the author keeps pumping these out!!!!!!
* I wish there was more than 3 stories per book. For the price, it seems like I should have at least 4 or 5 stories.
OVERALL: I would for sure encourage all parents of young children to buy these. We use the scriptures for children that the LDS church provides but they are still so WAY over the head of our little 3 year old. This is such a help for FHE’s and for use at least a few times a week (we take turns reading the scripture stores that the church put out).
By Moriah, Submitted on 2015-02-25
I love this series. The story is told simply and I really like how the values are tied into how we can apply them today. We have used the FHE ideas several times and my boys have used the books for primary talks.
By Jennifer, Submitted on 2015-02-25
My kids love this book and and even read it to their friends when they come over. It is a great learning tool for today's kids with questions like "how can you be more like Nephi?". A must for every LDS family.
By Jennifer, Submitted on 2015-02-25
My kids love this book so much much they read it every day after school and at bed time. They even read it to their friends that come over. It has great lessons for today's kids and gets them thinking about how they can live a more righteous life.
By Samuel, Submitted on 2015-02-25
This book makes applying the scriptures easy. Kids love looking for the hidden mouse on every page.
By Cathy, Submitted on 2015-02-25
I LOVE THESE BOOKS - and now so do the children and teachers in our little Primary here in South Africa. The wonderful messages, pictures, real life applications, and helps for lessons are totally inspiring and magnificently presented. They have captured the imaginations of all of us. THANK YOU DAVID. You have made 'living the gospel daily' an easier and more enjoyable thing! (and you have given us all a 'kick start' as we try to look for our own daily personal applications.) AWESOME and thank you again!
By rebecca, Submitted on 2015-02-25
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. The carictures are great and it tells the stories in a way that the children will remember and try to be like their favorite hero's in the book. Great Value's taught, my boys are now giving me a thumbs up when I ask for help with something, due to Nephi's character.
By Jill, Submitted on 2015-02-25
Please write more of these books. My two year old loves both volume one and two. We love the artwork, the writing, the FHE help after each story, and the spirit that we feel as we read these together. The hidden mouse throughout is a great touch. We would love to have many more volumes of these books.
By brian, Submitted on 2015-02-25
My 2 boys, age 3 and 5 love this book! I bought it on a whim, not knowing how captivated they would be by the illustrations and funny characters. I love the 'real-life' applications that promotes discussion with kids. My kids love the 'sassy' nature of the 'bad-guys' in the book, they laugh and laugh at Lamen and Lemuel etc. Truly, a new favorite in our home. ~Denice Rasmussen
By Caroline, Submitted on 2015-02-25
I bought this book as a gift for a young friend of mine for his baptism. His mom told me it has been a big hit. My friend and his older sister have had wonderful bonding and learning experiences reading the stories together.