Last Modified: June 23, 2020.
- What is the information that we collect?
- Why do we collect Personal Information?
- How do we collect Personal Information?
- How do we use Personal Information?
- With whom do we share Personal Information?
- Children’s Privacy
- How do we secure Personal Information?
- How long do we retain Personal Information?
- How do we respect your choices about your Personal Information?
- Your Rights
- Publicity Waiver
- External Links
- Whom do I contact if I have questions or concerns?
1. What is the information that we collect?
We collect two basic types of information - Personal Information and Anonymous Information - and we may use Personal and Anonymous Information to create a third type of information, Aggregate Information. Information may or may not fall under the following categories of information:
- Registration information you provide when you create an account may include your first name and surname, country of residence, date of birth, email address, username and password (Personal Information).
- Transaction information you provide when you request information or purchase a product or service from DBC, whether on our sites or through our Applications, including your postal address, telephone number and payment information (Personal Information).
- Information you post or comment, including photographs on our website or Applications, or Public Forums (Personal Information).
- Information you provide in Public Forums on our sites and Applications (Personal Information).
- Information sent either one-to-one or within a limited group using our message, chat, post or similar functionality, where we are permitted by law to collect this information (Personal Information).
- Information you provide to DBC when you use our sites and Applications, our Applications on third-party sites or platforms such as social networking sites, or link your profile on a third-party site or platform with your registration account (Aggregate Information).
- Location information when you visit our sites or use our Applications, including location information either provided by a mobile device interacting with one of our sites or Applications, or associated with your IP address, where we are permitted by law to process this information (Aggregate Information).
- Usage, viewing and technical data, including your device identifier or IP address, when you visit our sites, use our Applications on third-party sites or platforms or open emails we send (Anonymous Information).
2. Why do we collect Personal Information?
We collect your Personal Information in an effort to provide you with a superior customer experience and, as necessary, to administer our business. It allows DBC to provide you with easy access to our products and services, with a particular focus on the items and programs that may be of most interest to you.
3. How do we collect Personal Information?
Information that you provide to DBC
- We collect Personal Information you provide to DBC when you request products, services or information from DBC, register with DBC, participate in Public Forums or other activities on our sites and Applications, respond to customer surveys, or otherwise interact with DBC. As a general matter, you can browse in our stores and on our websites without submitting your Personal Information to DBC. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide DBC with your Personal Information. The most common of these circumstances may include:
- Making a purchase or placing an order: When you make a purchase or place an order in our stores or place an order online without an account, you may need to submit Personal Information to DBC.
- Creating an online account: You can create a password-protected Deseretbook.com account to complete your online order, to purchase or download eBooks, other digital content ("Digital Content"), DBC's apps, interact on our websites or blogs, or to save items to an online wish list. To create any of these accounts we will ask you to provide DBC with Personal Information. If you use your online account to make a purchase or download, we will use the Personal Information stored in your account and/or require you to input additional Personal Information, such as credit card information or address, to complete your order or download.
- Enrolling in our Member loyalty program (Platinum): When you enroll in our Member loyalty program (Platinum), we will ask you to submit Personal Information as part of your Member profile. The Personal Information you submit is held in a Member database. When you use your membership, the transaction information for your purchase, including Personal Information, is copied and stored in the Member database so that we can administer the Member program.
- Contacting Customer Service: When you contact customer service, we may ask you to provide, or confirm, Personal Information so that we can better serve you.
Information automatically collected when you visit our websites
- When you visit any of the family of DBC websites, we automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit any website. For example, we may receive and collect: the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; the IP address of the computer you are using; the date and time you access our websites; and/or the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our sites. We use this information to monitor the usage of our websites as necessary for our business.
Information collected from visitors from outside the United States:
- If you are visiting DBC from outside the United States and provide DBC with Personal Information, please note that DBC is located in the United States and your Personal Information will be stored and processed on servers located within the United States. The data protection laws in the United States may not be as strict or comprehensive as those in your country. However, we value your privacy and always strive to treat it in accordance with applicable law and DBC’s Privacy Principles of clarity, security and integrity. By voluntarily sharing your Personal Information with us, you understand that your Personal Information will be stored and processed in the United States.
4. How do we use Personal Information?
DBC uses your Personal Information for the purpose of conducting our business and pursuing our legitimate interests, in particular to provide you with a superior customer experience at our stores and on and through our websites. For example, we use your Personal Information to:
- Provide you with products, services and information about the DBC Stores, the Deseretbook.com website and/or other Applications
- Administer our Member Platinum program;
- Provide superior customer service;
- Conduct research and perform analysis in order to measure, maintain, protect, develop and improve our products and services for you the customer;
- Communicate with you about special offers, events, or new products and/or services that may be of interest to you;
- Customize and enhance our websites and advertising;
- Make communications necessary to notify you regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues;
- Manage our business.
5. With whom do we share Personal Information?
Protecting the privacy and security of your Personal Information is a top priority at DBC. DBC DOES NOT SELL OR RENT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES. We will not share your Personal Information outside DBC except in limited circumstances, including:
- Other entities owned by DBC, including subsidiaries and affiliates of DBC. Many of our customers purchase items from DBC both online and in our stores. We may share your Personal Information within the Deseret Management Corporation family of companies to help to ensure that you have a superior shopping and/or browsing experience no matter where you choose to shop and/or browse with DBC.
- Law enforcement officials and as required by law. DBC may release Personal Information to third parties when it is necessary to (a) comply with the law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce or apply the terms of any of our policies or user agreements; or (c) protect the rights, property or safety of DBC, our employees, our customers, users, and/or others.
Information collected using pixel tags or clear GIFs: To help DBC understand the effectiveness of our communications and marketing efforts, we may use "message format" and "message open" sensing technologies that use pixel tags or clear GIFs (which are also called web beacons). These technologies allow DBC to know if your e-mail server is able to accept HTML e-mails and, if it is, to: (1) send you e-mails in that format; and (2) determine if you have opened our e-mail messages.
Information collected from DBC Applications: When you use a DBC Application, we automatically collect information that the app sends to DBC when it is connected to the Internet. For example, we may receive and collect information concerning search queries, downloads, buying preferences etc.
7. Children’s Privacy
The Site is not directed to, or intended for use by, children (defined as anyone under thirteen (13) years old). Children should not use or submit any information through the Site or its Services. If you are under the age of 13, you only may use the Services with permission from your parents or guardians. Deseret Book Company does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from users under the age of 13. If a child under 13 submits information through any part of the Services, and we become aware that the person submitting the information is a child, we will attempt to delete this information as soon as possible. Parents can contact customer Services to request access to, change, or delete their child’s personal information by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. How do we secure Personal Information?
We take significant and appropriate security measures, including physical, technological and procedural measures, to help safeguard your Personal Information and to prevent unauthorized access and disclosure. In addition, we use industry-standard technology, such as firewalls and encryption in the transmission of certain sensitive Personal Information, designed to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your Personal Information, and, as technology develops, we intend to take additional measures to improve security.
9. How long do we retain your Personal Information?
10. How do we respect your choices about your Personal Information?
When you interact with DBC in certain ways, you may be eligible to receive certain marketing-related and promotional communications. The most common of these circumstances include:
- Making a purchase or download or placing an order
- Creating an online account
- Enrolling in our Member program
- Entering a sweepstakes or a contest
If, at any time, you wish to no longer receive promotional communications from DBC Booksellers, Deseretbook.com, the DBC Member Platinum program or any other DBC entity, please follow the instructions below:
- A customer may choose to opt-out of the receipt of any promotional communications by clicking on the opt-out link provided at the bottom of each e-mail and following the instructions, or by e-mailing our Customer Service Department at email@example.com.
11. Your Rights
Under the law of some countries, you may have certain rights with respect to your Personal Information. These rights may include the right to: (i) request access to and rectification or erasure of your Personal Information; (ii) obtain restriction of processing or object to processing of your Personal Information; and (iii) ask for a copy of your Personal Information to be provided to you or a third party in a machine readable format. If you wish to exercise one of the above-mentioned rights, please send us your request to the contact details set out below. If you have unresolved concerns, you may also have the right to lodge a complaint about the processing of your Personal Information with your local data protection authority in the European Union or elsewhere.
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, you may contact us as described below.
12. Publicity Waiver
Unless prohibited by law, your participation in the posting of any information, comment and/or photo on a DBC website constitutes your consent for DBC to use your submitted information for other promotional, advertisement or commercial purposes in any media now known or later developed, without payment or consideration to the you or any other person.
13. External Links
14. Whom do I contact if I have questions or concerns?
Attn: Business Affairs
Deseret Book Company
55 North 300 West, Suite 300
PO Box 30178
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
- Aggregate Information. Aggregate information means information about groups or categories of guests, which does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual guest.
- Anonymous Information. Anonymous information means information that does not directly or indirectly identify, and cannot reasonably be used to identify, an individual guest.
- Application. Application means a program or service operated by DBC (or on our behalf) that may be displayed on various online, mobile or other platforms and environments, including those operated by third parties, which permits DBC to interact directly with our guests.
- Children. Children means individuals who we have identified are not of legal age to consent to the collection and processing of their personal information. In the United States, the term “children” refers to individuals under 18 years of age.
- Data Processor. A data processor is a person or entity that processes personal information on behalf of a data controller (or data controllers) and is permitted to perform data processing only as directed by the data controller(s).
- IP Address. An IP address is associated with the access point through which you enter the Internet, and is typically controlled by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). We may use IP addresses to collect information regarding the frequency with which our guests visit various parts of our sites and Applications, and we may combine IP addresses with personal information.
- Member. Member means a person who is a part of our Platinum loyalty benefits program.
- Notice. Notice may be by email to you at the last email address you provided DBC, by posting notice of such changes on our sites and Applications, or by other means, consistent with applicable law
- Parents. A parent means a parent or legal guardian.
- Personal Information. Personal information means information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, such as the individual’s name, postal address, email address and telephone number. When anonymous information is directly or indirectly associated with personal information, this anonymous information also is treated as Personal Information.